Question of the Day, Bananas, and Charity

Filed under: , , by: Vince Romanin

I recently stumbled upon a couple articles that related to some of the things I've talked about before.

First, here is a very interesting article from the New York Times opinion section on bananas (discussed in an earlier post) that makes the surprising claim that they will soon jump to $1/pound. It also makes some interesting insights into the economies behind locally grown and imported fruits. The reason this is important enough to post on a blog that is supposed to be about Nicaragua is that food and where it comes from is more apparent here. You often buy beans, rice, and fruit on the street not far from people who grow them. Apples are rare, because they have to be imported. Why then, are we able to buy bananas cheaper than apples? It is sometimes because fruit companies (and coffee companies and textile companies) can get away with exploiting their workers in countries (like Nicaragua) where there are less rules and regulations in order to produce goods cheaply. This article paints a very informative picture of that situation with one popular fruit.

Yes, We Will Have No Bananas


Next, here are two articles from Brave New Traveler on the topic of the homeless, and whether or not to give them money. This past week, as I was walking home from the store two little boys* asked for the 2nd half of my juice. I refused. Afterwrad I read these two articles. Be sure to read the comments section at the end of the second article, there are some interesting first hand stories.

10 Ways You Can Help Street Children Without Giving Money

The Dilemma With Street Beggars

When it comes down to it though, the reason that I usually don't give simply because it is awkward. It is easier to ignore them and pretend they don't exist than to acknowledge them and pull out your wallet. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that I don't have time to evaluate the situation and determine if I believe them, or if it will benefit them more by me giving or refusing, so I panic, and walk away.

Question of the Day
After reading the two articles above, what do you do when confronted by a street beggar, a child with an obvious disability or health problem, or someone who just wants a dollar? Do you believe some and not others? Do you give out of pity? What are your excuses to give or not to give? What will benefit them more?

Vince

*After a long struggle with the first boy, me repeatedly saying no but laughing and talking to the kid the whole time, obviously too friendly to allow him to give up, he finally left. I just couldn't give a stern 'no' because he was kinda cute/funny. Not 20 seconds later a second boy approached, and 'here I go again I thought...' ready for another long battle. Not 10 seconds after the boy approached, looking straight up at me, he ran face first straight into a telephone poll and fell. His friends laughed and he got up and ran away embarrassed. I hated to laugh, but I did... alot.

0 comments: